2009 Jul 09 20:20

Re: [vox-tech] Invisible widgets in Java applets?

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 17:06 -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 07:01:35PM -0500, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > Please tell us the output of
> > $ update-alternatives --list firefox-javaplugin.so
>
>   /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>   /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
>

> > If it's not a Sun JDK, you would need to use update-alterantives
> > --configure (as root) on the appropriate alternative (which I think
> > would be firefox-javaplugin.so, but I'm not sure because there are also
> > several others for java plugins), to make the Sun version be the version
> > your browser uses.
>
> So sounds like it's the Sun JDK.

Yep. Though it does seem odd that there are two alternatives from the
same package. Maybe using update-alternatives --configure to switch from
one to the other will help, but it seems really unlikely.

Beyond that, I don't have any real idea what the problem or solution
would be.

> > If it's a non Sun JDK, then I suspect the problem would be that you're
> > missing either classpath-gtkpeer or classpath-qtpeer to provide the
> > widgets.
>
> So would either of these help in this case?  Right now,
> 'aptitude search' shows:
>
>   p   classpath-gtkpeer           - clean room standard Java libraries - GTK+
>   p   classpath-qtpeer            - clean room standard Java libraries - QT AW

Neither of these will help, since you're using a Sun JDK, which doesn't
use GNU classpath as its runtime.