January 6: Social gathering
2009 Jun 30 20:29

[vox-tech] LWN Chunkfs article now generally available

[vox-tech] LWN Chunkfs article now generally available

This was mentioned in the recent partitioning thread.

    What ever happened to chunkfs?
    Valerie Aurora
    June 17, 2009
    http://lwn.net/Articles/337680/

The article is now generally available at LWN.

It describes a number of topics covered during the previous discussion,
including the problem with fsck times, limitations on the applicability
of SSD as a total storage solution (Val's thinking is very close to
mine:  "SSDs are an element in the cache hierarchy of a system, layered
between system RAM and disk, not a complete replacement for disks"), and
some IMVAO very interesting discussion on the nuts and bolts of
filesystem design from someone who actually knows what she's talking
about on the subject.

Careful reading (and an avoidance of further imputation of materials)
might prove educational for some on this list.

I'll also note:  this and other featured-content articles are always
available to subscribers to LWN.  This is a very high quality technical
news site edited by a kernel developer and which stays very close to
matters of technical interest to the Linux community.  I highly
recommend LWN.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.