2009 Jun 27 13:02

Re: [vox-tech] help with xorg.conf

I met with Alex Mandel today and we managed to get the xorg.conf
issues straightened out.  Dual monitors now work beautifully.  I think
the only thing I really needed to do was remove the old, erroneously
configured xorg.conf file and reboot.  Since I am using Nvidia's
proprietary driver (ver 180.4), I then typed "gksudo nvidia-settings"
in the terminal and chose the appropriate settings.  In my case,

Under Server Display Configuration Heading,
Configuration: TwinView
Resolution: I was able to run anything I wanted, didn't seem to matter
whether it was native resolution or not, nor did the monitors have to
have the same resolution.
Position: I defined my laptop display to be absolute and the external
monitor to be the "right of" my laptop display (an arbitrary choice).
Finally, I checked the box indicating that my laptop display is the
primary display for the X screen and hit apply, then quit.

Worked like a charm.

Thanks again to Alex for taking the time to meet me and everyone else
who replied to my post!

Thomas