January 6: Social gathering
2009 Jun 23 12:09

Re: [vox-tech] download manager c++ code

On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 22:12 -0400, Hai Yi wrote:
> Hello there:
>
> I am looking for some c++ component or snippet, which is basically a
> download manager. For example, when a url link of youtube is feeded,
> the corresponding video file will be downloaded.
>
> I did some google but unfortuately couldn't find any viable ones.
>
> Anyone out there are able to help me on it?

Unfortunately, your example (of a YouTube download) is not the same as
the general case of a direct link, because downloading a YouTube video
isn't a direct link.

If you're looking for software for downloading a YouTube video, look at
youtube-dl or clive, both of which are command-line programs for
downloading YouTube videos, given the YouTube page URL. (This is good,
for example, when you don't have a flash browser plugin installed -- the
resulting video can be played as an mp4 using mplayer).

As for general download mangers here are the choices I see in apt-get:

d4x - graphical download manager
gwget - GNOME front-end for wget
kget - download manager for KDE 4
multiget - graphical download manager
wmget - Background download manager in a Window Maker dock app

kget, in particular has a shared library that must expose an API for
interacting with kget.