2009 Jun 17 16:16

Re: [vox-tech] overheating

I think what you're looking for is lm-sensors
See the following for some tips on how to set it up
http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2006/09/30/Ubuntu-Sensor-temperature-monitoring-with-lmsensors

I've used it with and without gui tools. Once you get readings on all of
your sensors, fanspeeds etc you can start to figure out where the
trouble is really coming from. Canned Air, a new fan or 2 and some
adjustments to physical location can solve the basics. You can also
sometimes control the fanspeed based on temperature depending on your
motherboard.

Just to double check what temp is it telling you is "overheating",
because that is adjustable.

The other interesting tool when you want to start troubleshooting
processes is to use powertop.

Alex