2009 Jun 17 10:05

[vox-tech] Fwd: Re: [OT] Soundproof paint?!?

Joel posted from a non-subscribed addr.

----- Forwarded message from vox-tech-bounces@lists.lugod.org -----

Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:51:54 -0500
From: Joel Baumert <jbaumert@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Soundproof paint?!?
To: "lugod's technical discussion forum" <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>

   With the amount of energy in a good subwoofer, it seems unlikely that
   sub-millimeter barrier would make any difference...

   Joel

   On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> wrote:

     Hi all,

     My upstairs neighbors aren't "call the cops" loud, but still pretty
     loud.
     The noise is usually either footsteps or a subwoofer.  His subwoofer was
     on
     the floor but was recently raised on top of something.  That made things
     better, but I still feel his bass.  Sometimes it seems like my ceiling
     is
     like a guitar soundboard.

     I just read about "soundproof paint".  It's very difficult for me to
     believe
     that such a thing works, but I've seen misconceptions on the part of
     people
     saying it couldn't possibly work.  And it's hard finding people who've
     actually used it.

     I can make arguments for both why it would work and why it wouldn't work
     (by
     "work" I mean reduce the noise perceptibly, even by a small but
     noticeable
     amount.  I know not to expect huge results.).

     Can soundproof paint possibly be effective?  Even a little?

     Thanks!
     Pete

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer