January 6: Social gathering
2009 Jun 14 01:07

Re: [vox-tech] Desktop Recording

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 09:47:25PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> I believe someone asked about this a while back(Bill), desktop capture
> with audio. Haven't tested it yet but this looks promising and is in the
> Ubuntu repos http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/about.php
>
> apt-get install gtk-recordmydesktop

Wow, odd you mention this.  Someone on the Ubuntu-CA list (which I'm
currently only subscribed to in an attempt to see if LUGOD can work with
them at OSCON) mentioned something called 'instanbul', which I hadn't
heard of, and just installed... and am about to try.

p   istanbul                        - Desktop session recorder producing Ogg The

FWIW, I didn't have much luck with RecordMyDesktop and its frontends.
(Not last I tried.)

Of course, my computer acts up all sorts of annoying ways, lately... most
often sound-related.  (Happened at SacLUG last night.  Fortunately my
session somehow survived a fullscreen Tux Paint locking up on exit...
a thing I notice in a lot of apps, once sound goes wrong.  It's struck
other people as well... seems to be PulseAudio.  Hell, I have a friend
from high school which I didn't know used Linux (though I shouldn't
be surprised, since he does astrophysics or something) who posted an
update on facebook about 'had to kill -9 pulseaudio so i could watch
[such-n-such video' :^) )

Anyway, rambling.  I'd love to do desktop recording.  Not just for
Tux Paint, but for work, too.  (Some of our users need extra hand-holding
since they're not at all computer-saavy, and being able to just _show_ them
what to click and where to type could be quite useful.  People tend not
to read instructions, or even notice the labels of form fields. *sigh*)

Perhaps I should save and send this email before I fire up istanbul for
the first time, just in case my laptop 'splodes. :)