2009 May 07 12:31

Re: [vox-tech] Converting to Kubuntu

On Sat, 2 May 2009, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> This summer I plan on building a new workstation and I think I'm going to
> install Kubuntu instead of Debian.
>
> Has anyone here made this switch?  Any thoughts or comments about whether
> Kubuntu met/didn't meet your expectations?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

   Several years ago I started switching my workstations from debian to
ubuntu and have been happy. The only comments I would add to everything
already said is that I recommend going with the more stable Intrepid
version (8.10) rather than the version released last week (Jaunty, 9.04).
Two of my four worstations had serious issues with the new release. A
month from now 9.04 should be pretty stable.
   Regular (Gnome desktop) ubuntu comes with an alternate install CD which
uses debian's ancient, robust text-based installer. If kubuntu has this
too I think you will be much happier with this than with the graphical
installer, which is much slower and less flexible. However, if you just
want to see what the kubuntu will look like and that it will work, the
graphical install CD will also produce a working KDE desktop environment
run from the CD itself.

Chris