2009 May 04 07:08

Re: [vox-tech] Converting to Kubuntu

On Saturday 02 May 2009, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> This summer I plan on building a new workstation and I think I'm going to
> install Kubuntu instead of Debian.
>
> Has anyone here made this switch?  Any thoughts or comments about whether
> Kubuntu met/didn't meet your expectations?

I can only address things from a non-technical point of view.  I've used
Debian testing for a long time as my main system.  But I've had Kubuntu 8.04
on my laptop, and Kubuntu 8.10 on another partition of my desktop with KDE
4.1.

I've been very happy with Kubuntu on my laptop.  Recently I had a bad
experience with Debian.  Because I detest KDE 4.x, I decided to switch from
Debian testing to Debian 5.0 in order to freeze KDE at 3.5.  For some reason
my HPLIP toolbox doesn't work.  But the big surprise is that this Debian
stable release hangs every 5 or 6 boots.  It hangs where the startup messages
state that the kernel modules are being loaded.  So in mid-June I'm putting
Kubuntu on both my wife's computer, and this one.  That is, I'm replacing
Debian stable with Kubuntu; probably 8.04.

I realize that Kubuntu is a Debian offshoot, and I have a lot of respect for
Debian.  If I ever become flush again I'll make another monetary contribution
to the Debian project even if I'm not using Debian itself.

Bob