January 6: Social gathering
2009 Apr 25 21:47

Re: [vox-tech] Blu-ray: How crazy would I be if...

On Wed 22 Apr 09, 12:33 AM, Bill Broadley <bill@cse.ucdavis.edu> said:

> Not to mention that if you actually burn regularly seems like many of the
> burners don't have a particularly long life.  I recall a post from someone
> running an apple lab that used burners daily and claimed that the drives died
> between 100 and 400 burns... no idea on the failure mechanism, for all I know
> cheap media was gumming up the works.

All my burners have infinite life, so far.  I still have a Plextor that is
getting on 10 years now.  Even my el-cheapo Memorex is past the half-decade
mark, and I've used that thing ragged.

As for media, nothing has failed so far.  I still have data cds that I
burned almost 10 years ago.