2009 Apr 21 09:06

Re: [vox-tech] Window Managers

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 07:47:16AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> I have a hosted server running Ubuntu 8.04 and would like to install
> a simple, lightweight window manager for use with VNC.  Mostly this
> is so I can conduct shared sessions for working with others.  Ideally
> it would be reasonably intuitive for those familiar with Windows,
> Gnome or KDE.
>
> Problem is, there are too many choices!  aewm, blackbox, evilwm,
> flwm, fvwm, icewm, jwm, lwm, metacity, tinywm, twm, and more.
>
> I tried twm and metacity so far.  twm is ugly.  metacity is nice but
> doesn't do much by itself (e.g. no task bar or launcher), and adding
> gnome-panel or gnome-control-center brings in a whole bunch of stuff
> that I don't want or need.

I think fluxbox, blackbox, or openbox is probalby what you need. Nice
tiny taskbar, simple customizable menu when you right-click on the
desktop for launching things (and Debian and Ubuntu fully stock the
menu thanks to their menu system), and relatively standard overlapping
windows, with enough customization of behavior to accomodate pretty
much any other window manager you might be used to (e.g. focus policy,
click-to-raise and the like.)

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/