2009 Apr 09 15:51

Re: [vox-tech] Utility to image a hard drive

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 17:01, Alex Mandel <tech_dev@wildintellect.com> wrote:
> Also we're talking recursing into many nested subdirectories and from
> several different places on the origin disk. It can easily add up to a
> page of different rsync commands.

rsync handles recursion perfectly - I must be missing your point

> Then you run into the debate about versions, and whether to only keep
> one version. Simple backup makes it easy to do progressive backups, 1
> per year(older than 1 year), 1 per month, 1 per week for current month
> and it manages it all for you. In reality it's a gui to a bunch of cron
> rsync commands.

Disk space is cheap.  I keep multiple versions on the disk - which is
then backed up.  e.g. The last 4 days and the last 4 months of my
PIM (Jpilot).  Sure is handy to have right there - beats having to
recover it.

> Which brings up the idea that some stuff may be under version control
> and you want to skip those folder as the backup of the repository is
> more useful.

Obviously depends on which version control system you are using.
I see your point - just doesn't apply to me.  That's what makes our
Linux/OS environment so good ... options to fit your needs.

> I could go on, but I think I've said enough,
> Alex

-rich