2009 Apr 09 14:51

Re: [vox-tech] Utility to image a hard drive

Thomas Johnston wrote:
> I just want to say that I really appreciate the detailed and timely
> of time to make such responses.
>
> Getting going in Linux (for me at least) involves a rather steep
> learning curve.  It is especially painful because I was fairly
> proficient in windows and now I am reduced to doing a Google search
> for literally everything I want to do.
>
> I think I am going to try to first image the drive using Clonezilla.
> It seems like a fairly straight forward process.   But I really like
> the sound of the rsync; it looks like an excellent way to keep current
> copies of my data.  I suppose doing both may be a bit of overkill, but
> my laptop has a 250 GB hard drive which is only about 40% full and I
> have  a 1TB external - it's not like I am hurting for space.
>
> Thomas

Ah, yes cloning is something you really only do when you 1st setup the
machine. After that it's all about backup schemes.

In Ubuntu for a desktop user I recommend Simple Backup(Sbackup) as a gui
front-end to help you manage. There's also a text based tool called
backup ninja which writes the rsync scripts for you and several rysnc
gui's to help teach you the syntax which can be tricky, grsync.

You will find if you do an incremental backup of data like I do it can
start to take up a lot of space. That's why I like Simple Backup, helps
build up filters to skip things like giant media files that don't need
to be backed up, or temp files that are just sitting around all over the
place.

Alex