2009 Apr 08 11:10

[vox-tech] CUPS oddities

Hi,

Lately I have been noticing some strange behavior from CUPS. The printer is a
HP3600DN, and I am printing to it using its built-in ethernet port. Some
details on this printer here:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-Color_LaserJet_3600

I have the HPLIP 3.9.2-3() and hpijs (3.9.2-3) packages installed. When using
the HPLIP driver, and printing from 'lp' I get the following PCL error when a
PDF file contains rotated pages:

PCL XL Error:
Subsystem: KERNEL
Error: IllegalTag
Operator: 0x00
Position: 2

When I print the same PDF from 'xpdf' it works as expected, however the type
is somewhat degraded. I have heard that xpdf is using 'pdftops', while CUPS
(lp) uses 'pdf2ps' for the conversion (I think).

So far I get the best quality printing using 'lp' (CUPS).

Does anyone have any UNIX/CUPS/HP related wisdom to share?

Thanks in advance!

Dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette