2009 Feb 26 12:35

[vox-tech] Insomniac laptop (was Hard drive dying?)

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 08:54 -0800, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> BK> Yes, this laptop has the habit of heating up, esp. when it's closed.
> BK> (i.e., I'm not even interacting with it!)
>
> They're really not designed to run with the lid closed (ever).
>
> I actually had a co-worker that shut their lid and thought it slept and
> put it into their backpack and walked around for an hour.  It was
> "blazing hot" when they pulled it out and amazingly didn't have any
> problems.

I unfortunately have such an insomniac laptop. I think that it's likely
that the lid button is too sensitive to bumps, and would like to know if
there's a way to work around this in software. (e.g. if the computer
wakes up to find that the lid button is closed, put the computer back to
sleep automatically.)

Any tips?

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/