2009 Feb 26 08:54

Re: [vox-tech] [vox] Dual Head Kiosk (of sorts)

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 14:30, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

> Note: This is probably a better question for vox-tech (versus vox).

Dang it Bill, you're right again. Silly me forgot that there was
another list for this sort of stuff.

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 09:39:45AM -0800, John McDonnell wrote:
>> It needs to be HTML. The application is digital signage at an airport,
>> so it needs to display flight information and full screen signs in the
>> form of custom web pages.
>
> Are the general public going to interact with it?  If not, then you've
> kept from opening a can of worms. :)

The general public are to be kept as far away as we can keep them,
while still allowing them to read the information :)

> In the past, I've used KDE's kiosk mode (this was in KDE 3 -- don't know
> what's possible in the new KDE 4).  Others have used Firefox (see the
> kiosks at the Davis Food Co-Op), which might be a better way to go, if
> all you're providing is a browser.

I'm thinking the Firefox route is the way I'd like to go - having a
full blown desktop environment seems overkill. For now, the client PCs
are nice and beefy (which means that I can use the spare cycles for
nefarious purposes), but there's talk of a lower specced "thin client"
in the future.

To summarize for Vox-Tech: I'm trying to setup dual head Linux boxen
to display web pages full screen (different pages on each display).

john.
--
 http://johnmc.net | johnmc.org@gmail.com