January 6: Social gathering
2009 Feb 20 12:04

Re: [vox-tech] Help with USB Hard drive

Hi ken and Matthew,

Awesome info!  I'll give it a try :-)

Ken: does this answer your question?

Disk /dev/sdf: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sdf1               1      121601   976760001    b  W95 FAT32

By the way I decided to use FAT32 so I can move the drive between several machines. But.., I may decide to get another one ($150.00 at Fry's final price) and do the "/dev/disk/by-id/xxxx" but with an ext3 partition which will be much more efficient.

Thanks!!!
Alfredo

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-tech-bounces@lists.lugod.org [mailto:vox-tech-bounces@lists.lugod.org] On Behalf Of Chanoch (Ken) Bloom
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 10:03 AM
To: lugod's technical discussion forum
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Help with USB Hard drive

That's an assumption the operating system makes because most USB drives are thumb drives and the like, single-user disks that come and go. You can change that, though.

Create a rule to identify the device uniquely in udev and to assign it a permenant device node (I can't tell you exactly how to do this, it will depend on being able to find something like a serial number that udev can use to identify it.), then add that device node to /etc/fstab, with appropriate mount options.

Just out of curiousity, what's the block size (the size occupied by a 1 byte file) on a 1 TB fat32 drive?

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/