2009 Feb 20 11:01

Re: [vox-tech] Help with USB Hard drive

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 11:49 -0500, ALLO (Alfredo Lopez De Leon) wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank you very much for all your answers.  After testing some of your
> suggestions I "discovered" that It is after all a USB drive and as
> root I have to umount it before logging out so the other users can
> mount it and use it...
>
> Too bad USB drives do not behave like "real attached drives".  Well.
> Like the Rolling Stones would say: You can't always get what you want.
>
> Have a nice one!
>
> Alfredo

That's an assumption the operating system makes because most USB drives
are thumb drives and the like, single-user disks that come and go. You
can change that, though.

Create a rule to identify the device uniquely in udev and to assign it a
permenant device node (I can't tell you exactly how to do this, it will
depend on being able to find something like a serial number that udev
can use to identify it.), then add that device node to /etc/fstab, with
appropriate mount options.

Just out of curiousity, what's the block size (the size occupied by a 1
byte file) on a 1 TB fat32 drive?

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/