2009 Feb 17 22:21

Re: [vox-tech] powersupply + capacitor whine when CPU is idle

On Monday 16 February 2009, jim wrote:
>    i've never heard capacitors make noise and am
> interested to know if that happens. my guess is
> the noise is coming from a fan, either in the
> power supply itself, or in the case, or on the
> heatsink of the CPU, or...

The funny thing is that only some people can hear the whining sound. Only
seems to be younger people (better hearing?).

>    odd that the noise goes away when the CPU is
> busy: maybe the CPU heatsink fan smooths up when
> there's heat (frame or spindle alignment changes)?

Yeah, I can't figure that one out...

>    if the power supply breaks down, it may damage
> data on your hard drive (i've seen multiple
> lost+found directories nested because of the
> jitters of a dying power supply--a big mess to
> recover).

OK. Hopefully the new one is on the way!

Dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette
Soil Resource Laboratory