January 6: Social gathering
2008 Nov 20 13:13

[vox-tech] When you can't add local printers in CUPS

[vox-tech] When you can't add local printers in CUPS

I bought a Samsung ML-2510 laser printer the other day, and when
installing using CUPS, I discovered that CUPS wasn't letting me add
local printers of any kind. After a fashion I discovered that this is
because the available printing backends in CUPS are determined by
which files are present in /usr/lib/cups/backend. So one can add a
missing backend by copying the missing backend from
/usr/lib/cups/backend-available to /usr/lib/cups/backend.

In Debian, one can also fix this by running dpkg-reconfigure cups, and
selecting the appropriate backends there. The reason for this is
explained by debconf: there are some circumstances in which selecting
backends that you don't have the hardware for can hang your machine.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/