January 6: Social gathering
2008 Oct 28 19:12

Re: [vox-tech] burn directories to CDs

On Tuesday 28 October 2008 08:49, Tim Riley wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 18:56 -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> > harke wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > You could use cpio with the pass-through option. his does
> > > not use or create an archive. You'll probably need some other options
> > > like make-directories
> >
> > I am mystified why (or how) one would use cpio to copy files to a cdrom.
> > Can you elaborate?
>
> $ find . -print | cpio -p /dev/cdrom ? ;-)

You'll first need a file system on the cd
so you could do
     mkfs -t ext2 /dev/cdrom

Notice that it is perfectly feasible to put an ext2 file system
on a cd Of course certain other operating systems will not be
able to read it.

If you prefer to stick to an iso file system, just use the usual tools.

Richard