2008 Oct 21 08:11

[vox-tech] Editing menu.lst

I need some help on editing menu.lst.  I'm trying to change it so that my
laptop's default is to boot into Linux instead of Windows.

If I want to read menu.lst by executing "less menu.lst" I have no problem.
But if I execute "vi menu.lst" I get this:

> E325: ATTENTION
> Found a swap file by the name ".menu.lst.swp"
>           owned by: root   dated: Tue Jul 10 23:00:09 2007
>          file name: /boot/grub/menu.lst
>           modified: YES
>          user name: root   host name: fir
>         process ID: 6909
> While opening file "menu.lst"
>              dated: Tue Aug 26 18:09:56 2008
>       NEWER than swap file!
>
> (1) Another program may be editing the same file.
>     If this is the case, be careful not to end up with two
>     different instances of the same file when making changes.
>     Quit, or continue with caution.
>
> (2) An edit session for this file crashed.
>     If this is the case, use ":recover" or "vim -r menu.lst"
>     to recover the changes (see ":help recovery").
>     If you did this already, delete the swap file ".menu.lst.swp"
>     to avoid this message.
>
> Swap file ".menu.lst.swp" already exists!
> [O]pen Read-Only, (E)dit anyway, (R)ecover, (D)elete it, (Q)uit, (A)bort:

I don't get this "menu.lst.swp" thing.  My guess is that I should choose "E"
and "edit anyway."  Is this what I should do?  Is there any danger here?

Thank you.

Bob