2008 Sep 18 04:25

Re: [vox-tech] dual system

certainly it's easier if xp is installed first, since the Ubuntu
installer takes care of everything, even copying bookmarks.

With Linux on first, you'll just need to partition and then reload
grub using the live-cd.  It's described here:
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_installed_first.htm?page=1

-Carl

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Jimbo <evesautomotive@wavecable.com> wrote:
> Hi:
> My friend wants to give  linux a shot due to the rash of viruses he has
> received.
>
> I have been tweaking on his machine for about a week and have a nice user
> friendly ubuntu system with lots of eye candy.
>
> I now want to add xp (gave me a disk but unsure what machine it goes to,
> will probably call for it later).  It is a pretty painless install for just
> one OS but I have grub set up to handle the boot options and want to leave
> it that way.
>
> Is there an easy way to install xp and still use grub?  I know that if I
> install this on a partition it will automatically make a bootloader.  If it
> does make its own bootloader can I somehow revert back to grub?
>
> Jimbo

Carl Boettiger
Population Biology, UC Davis
http://two.ucdavis.edu/~cboettig