2008 Sep 07 16:29

Re: [vox-tech] vi problem: can't make back up file (add ! tooverride)

Re: [vox-tech] vi problem: can't make back up file (add ! tooverride)

hello, Carl:

Thanks for the response. I checked the package and found that the
vim-full was missing; then I installed it and its dependencies.
However, the problem persisted. Later I found that when I opened a
file, the message pop up for 1 sec : "unable to open swap file... ", I
googled it and ppl said I need to "...change the 'directory' option to
avoid this error...".

I went back to check the .vimrc file and found its variable "directory
" is set to "$HOME/tmp", which I didn't have it. So I created this
folder underneath $HOME, and my problem is resolved.

FYI, my distribution is Ubuntu 8.0.4 and my vim is " version 7.1.138 "

Thanks again for the hint.
Hai