2008 Sep 05 14:41

Re: [vox-tech] Running 64 bit Ubuntu

Troy Arnold wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 12:34:48PM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
>> What are people's expierence running 64-bit Ubuntu?
>
> Crazy good.  On Hardy I've barely had to think about it.
>
> The toughest thing for me was installing the Opera browser.  Opera only
> provides 32bit debs, so I had to manually download a couple of i386 packages
> and copy the libraries into /lib32.  Like a bad sysadmin, I did not keep good
> notes, although I'm sure someone on the Ubuntu forums has...
>
> -t

There is an ia32 lib package just for this purpose. It's a key component
to using the force architecture flag of dpkg.

I happen to run Opera in a 32bit chroot which is easy to setup.
http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com//index.php?title=Ubuntu&redirect=no#Building_a_clean_32bit_chroot_with_debbootstrap_on_AMD64

The only real issue I've ever run into that didn't have an easy fix was
compiling some apps on 64bit. But it's only a matter of time before the
applications are fixed up for 64bit. Non of these have been standard or
every day type stuff, always way niche things.

Alex