2008 Aug 16 12:58

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu Security Software

Scott Miller wrote:
> The most current example of this is the phony CNN.com Daily Top 10
> email that has gone around, hosing many Windows machines. When
> clicking a link to 'read' one of the top stories, it actually tricks
> the user into downloading and installing a trojan. That was last week.

I saw that under thunderbird (on linux of course), I moused over all the links
looking for one that wasn't real.  I never found a link that looked
suspicious, oh, hrm, maybe I was only looking at the ASCII version and not the
HTML.

> In Linux we are safer as we are running as limited users, and also all
> of the malware is targeted for Windows. A trojan .exe which creates a
> windows registry startup and fake NIC adapter in the device manager,
> etc is not going to get very far in a Linux OS. :)

Right.  But even a linux targeted one that hacks the linux kernel can't work
just with a click.