2008 Aug 16 12:58

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu Security Software

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that anti-virus products for
Linux (clam, sophos, etc.) are for searching for Windows viruses. They
are mainly for boxes that serve as Windows file shares, or a mail
server that is scanning attachments for Windows users.

For a desktop user of any OS, if you are behind some sort of NAT
router at home, you are pretty darn safe. If however, the machine is
wide open onto the internet, then you have to be very careful.

Most malware in Windows takes advantage of the fact that 99.999% of
users are running with full admin rights, and click on stuff. So when
the person clicks to see the pic of 'hot gurlz click now!' that could
do a number of bad things, depending on what the malware is. That
could be a browser link, you may think you are downloading a
particular piece of software that may actually be shady, or you could
just be clicking on the scammy 'e-card' link that 'someone' sent you
via email.

The most current example of this is the phony CNN.com Daily Top 10
email that has gone around, hosing many Windows machines. When
clicking a link to 'read' one of the top stories, it actually tricks
the user into downloading and installing a trojan. That was last week.

So I do agree with the above persons who said don't click links you do
not trust, esp if you use Windows. :)

In Linux we are safer as we are running as limited users, and also all
of the malware is targeted for Windows. A trojan .exe which creates a
windows registry startup and fake NIC adapter in the device manager,
etc is not going to get very far in a Linux OS. :)

/end rant