2008 Aug 07 10:04

Re: [vox-tech] remove the windows partition

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 20:11, Hai Yi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My home PC has dual OS, one is Ubuntu 7.10, the other is Windows XP.
> However, my windows has stopped working for quite a while.
>
> So I figure, I will remove the windows partition and use it as my
> Ubuntu's secondary disk, and install a svn server as a repository for
> my code/document.
>
> I'd like to know if there is an easy and feasible way to accomplish my
> goal, without affecting my current Ubuntu installation?
>
> Any tool/utility?
>

> Maybe it's just easier to install a brand-new 8.0.4... :-)
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Hai
Its not really difficult but you have to be very careful
because a mistake could be very bad.
First you should take windows out of the boot menu.
If you are using grub you can do this by editting the
menu.lst file, usually located in /boot/grub
BUT, be very careful. If you screw up menu.lst, you may not be
able to boot at all.
Then you can use fdisk to change the second drive into
a linux partition. Again, you need to be very careful. If you
fdisk the wrong drive, you are hosed.
After fdisk, you need to run mkfs to put a file system
on he drive.
Last you need to mount it. You may want to create a new
directory under / as a place to mount it. Also you
should update fstab so it mounts automatically whenever
you boot your machine.

If any of this sounds esoteric, I would recommend
bringing your machine to an install fest which usually
happens about once a month. It can probably be done
in a half hour or so.

Richard Harke