2008 Aug 04 18:41

Re: [vox-tech] mystery error when connecting USB HD

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Recently upgraded my kernel and noticed the following message when connecting
> an external USB HD:
>

> [111490.755865] attempt to access beyond end of device
> [111490.755865] sdc: rw=0, want=586072369, limit=586072368
>
> With the the previous kernel it just read:
>
> Buffer I/O error on device sdc2
>
> Any ideas on how this may have happened or how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dylan

I'm not expert but looking at information online it appears to be caused
by bad disk metadata, meaning the info about the disk size or node size
extra is wrong on the disk. Run a disk check depending on how you've
formatted and see if anything odd comes out of that.

It might be solved by fixing the partition table or reformatting the drive.

Alex