2008 Jul 29 23:30

Re: [vox-tech] Classic Atari Trakball as input deviceunder X-Window?

Re: [vox-tech] Classic Atari Trakball as input deviceunder X-Window?

On my unit, I measured the ball at 2.17" dia. and 4 oz. It spins easily and has the right amount of momentum to get across the screen easily but not feel too heavy. One flick of my finger easily sends the cursor from one corner of the screen to the other while still retaining good control for fine work. I'm not a gamer and don't know how it compares to arcade trackballs, but I like it much better than a mouse for general and CAD work. It's smooth and easy to use. It also has a scroll ring around the ball that's better than those on mice because it's a lot bigger and your fingers are right there already. You could probably check it out at Fry's before you buy. They have it online at http://shop2.frys.com/product/3869627;jsessionid=uUvd-6URFlFHozy4QbjPlA**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
as item #3869627.

I should write an ad for these guys.

BTW, I mentioned using a wrist cushion with it before, but forgot to mention that I put it on top of the dinky wrist pad that the trackball comes with. Together they come up to a good height for me. (I made a little cardboard fence about 1" high around them to keep the cushion in place.)

Steve