January 6: Social gathering
2008 Jun 29 16:19

[vox-tech] postgrey is dangerous?

Hi,

I have used a web host based in North Carolina for many years. I recently upgraded from a shared server to a dedicated server and I was hoping to be able to install some SPAM fighting tools. The SPAM software they provide is limited to white listing and black listing and I am now receiving huge volumes of it. I am a part time programmer, not familiar with networks or email servers, but I am tired of huge volumes of SPAM. I reviewed various sites and felt that installing postgrey might give me substantial SPAM reduction with minimal challenges. When I asked my host about installing it, I was told:
"After further investigation I was able to verify that the request was denied.
It was specified that this software would be unsafe to run on the server environments run within our network.
This is per our Systems Administrators."

After going around with them twice, I don't have what I feel is an adequate answer. Any thoughts on why someone might think that postgrey is "unsafe"? Better yet, any strategies for countering this thinking?

 = = system info - yes the versions are old, but that's not my host's excuse for the denial and they can be updated now that I am on a dedicated server
Operating System:  	Redhat Linux Kernel Version: 	2.4.26
Apache/PHP Version: 	Apache/1.3.34 (Unix) filter/1.0 PHP/4.4.4
Perl Version: 	v5.6.0
MySQL Version: 	3.23.33
Send Mail Version: 	8.12.10

Thanks for any suggestions or clarifications.

Regards,

Larry