2008 Feb 01 14:04

[vox-tech] [OT] Re: sharing a printer with samba

On 2008-01-28, wrote hajhouse:
> On 2008-01-28, wrote Charles McLaughlin:
> > Henry House wrote:
> > >In fact, I've determined that printing from clients works just fine with
> > >authentication (password and username set in /etc/samba/smbpasswd. So my
> > >issue is really just how to make samba accept jobs from unauthenticated
> > >users.
> >
> > Try adding this to the printer stanza:
> >
> > guest ok = Yes
>
> Thank you! That was the exactly the solution I was looking for.

To follow up on this: printing without authentication via SMB works
perfectly from my Linux client (xubuntu); i can browse the SMB network
using the distro-provided printer-configuration GUI, select the printer,
configure it using the generic postscript driver (lpd on the server
filters it through hpijs as the printer is PCL-only), and create and use
a CUPS queue. My housemate, however, can't locate the printer under
Windows XP using the provided wizard for "setting up a network printer".
The expected share HOME/SAMBA/xerox (the name of the printer as shown on
my machine) does not appear in the wizard's network browser; entering it
manually also failed.  I don't have any idea how to help her, having
never used XP (or any Windows at all for more than a few minutes here
and there). It seems likely to me that the SMB server is configured fine
and that this is a Windows problem or an ignorance-of-Windows problem,
but i can't rule out a misconfiguration of the server that Linux
tolerates but XP does not.  Suggestions would be welcome.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13