2008 Jan 28 15:34

Re: [vox-tech] sharing a printer with samba

Henry House wrote:
>Here are the relevant log lines from a client (Ubuntu Gutsy with CUPS
>spooler):
>
>E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:11 +0000] [Job 19] Unable to connect to CIFS host
>after (tried 3 times)
>E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:11 +0000] PID 22372 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb)
>stopped with status 1!
>E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:15 +0000] PID 22371
>(/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 9!
>E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:15 +0000] PID 22371
>(/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 9!

Can you see that the resource is shared, at least?  From the server,

	smbclient -L localhost

... should show that the printer is available locally via the SMB/CIFS
protocol.

Then you can try the same from the client to see if the client can see
the server's resources.  From the mail trail it sounds like you have a
client system running Linux to test this out, so you'd type the
following from the client:

	smbclient -L server

... where "server" can be the IP or name of the server, but it can also
be the name of the host it identifies itself to be via some SMB protocol
magic.

I think that's the first step in testing a SMB services.  But if you
really have a hard time getting it to work, I think it might be easier
to install Unix Printing Services on the Windows' side and point it to
the server.  As I recall Unix Printing Services comes preinstalled with
Vista and Windows XP SP2, but has it disabled default.  So there's
another option for you if the above doesn't work out.  XP instructions
are here:

	http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324078

-Mark