2008 Jan 28 20:25

Re: [vox-tech] sharing a printer with samba

Re: [vox-tech] sharing a printer with samba

Henry House wrote:
I've never used samba before (happily i have no windows machines of my own).
However, i would like to share a printer so that my housemate can use it. I
can't get it to work and i suspect an access-control, problem. As far as I can
tell the smb server is not accepting jobs from the client. I've configured
smb.conf like so:

[global]
workgroup = home
netbios name = Samba
encrypt passwords = true
printing = bsd
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
lock directory = /var/lock/samba

[xerox]
comment = Xerox laser printer --- use this one
path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
printer name = lp
writable = yes
public = yes
printable = yes
print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s

The server is running Ubuntu Gutsy with lprng spooler. Local printing on
the server works perfectly.

Here are the relevant log lines from a client (Ubuntu Gutsy with CUPS spooler):

E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:11 +0000] [Job 19] Unable to connect to CIFS host after (tried 3 times)
E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:11 +0000] PID 22372 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb) stopped with status 1!
E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:15 +0000] PID 22371 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 9!
E [26/Jan/2008:03:46:15 +0000] PID 22371 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 9!
I haven't had much difficulty with samba configuration by following recipes,
so I hardly know many ways it can fail.  However, I don't see anything
in your conf about guest access... see "man smb.conf" and look for guest
options.  It also seems odd that you are using the lpr spool directory for
samba spooling... I am under the impression that samba accepts the spool
file and then hands off to lpr, which should be the program that has access
to the lpr spool directory.  The guest user (usually "nobody") should have
permissions to access to the samba spool directory.

Alternatively you can add your roommate as a samba user (completely separate
from Unix username) and let them log in when they want to print.