2008 Jan 17 07:57

Re: [vox-tech] collaborative data storage (of excel files)

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 08:45:58 pm Alex Mandel wrote:
> Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 January 2008 04:58:13 pm Ken Bloom wrote:

> >> In what format do your colleagues generate their data to begin with?
> >> Is this append-only or are there updates too?
> >>
> >> --Ken
> >
> > They work exclusively with Excel.
> >
> > A discussion about this problem with my sig. other last night resulted in
> > mutual distrust of the way most people in academics and "professional"
> > circles are handling data. There really should be a 'data management'
> > course which is either part of the Technical Writing courses (which are
> > required) or taught as a single quarter class. Everyone who is not in
> > computer science or mathematics should be required to either test out of
> > the course or take it.
> >
> > Dylan
>
> This is on my list of course to create, and may happen soon if I decide
> to do a Phd. In the meantime we might do a spatial databases group study
> next quarter.
>
> Alex

Hi Alex,

If that course happens, let me know as there was some interest in an
(attribute) database course in our dept. which Garrett and I were thinking
about putting together. Cross-listing and including spatial DB stuff might
draw a larger audience.

One more fun class to think about!

Dylan

--