2008 Jan 15 21:58

Re: [vox-tech] collaborative data storage (of excel files)

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Henry House wrote:
> On 2008-01-15, wrote Dylan Beaudette:
> [...]
>
> > YES - this is how I would approach this problem if I were in a position
> > to babysit their data. I have put together several LAPP
> > (linux-apache-postgres-php) projects- but only for things I was directly
> > working on. I was searching for some kind of compromise between doing it
> > correctly (i.e. a database) and doing it less incorrectly via SVN or the
> > like.
>
> Well the good thing about using SVN is that at least no data will be
> lost once it is committed. So even if person A overwrites person B's
> work, the data can be recovered (albeit with manual intervention). And
> if this happens it just might demonstrate the need for a proper
> RDBMS-base solution to those in charge.

Yeah... It looks like they will be resorting to their old system of personal
communication mitigated data disaster prevention (PCMDDP).... When it crashes
and burns I think that I will have them go with an SVN + CSV file setup.

Thanks for all of the great ideas!

Dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette