[vox-tech] Corrupted root files

Hi,

I've been having a series of problems with corrupted files owned by root.  (I'm running the Ubuntu Gutsy by the way, normal i386 install) The first I noticed was an error whenever I ran apt-get update that turned out to be do to some perl-base *.pm configuration files were corrupted into binary mess.  (thanks for your help earlier on this!)  Most recently my /etc/environment file became corrupted, this time with random ascii text inserted and the correct text missing.  In each of these cases obtaining good copies of the corrupted files and overwriting the bad ones fixed the problem at hand.  Now the last round of updates included a kernel upgrade from 2.6.20-16 to 2.6.22-14.  The new kernel failed to boot and I have to select the old kernel from grub just to be able to boot at all.  Not sure if these problems are related, but I'm worried.  I've had all this trouble with corrupted files and now this in the past month or so, which i've never had before.  Any ideas what I should do?

-Carl