January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] keyboard is frozen when starting,but working after the OS is fully started

On Saturday 08 December 2007 10:46:16 am Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 11:00:40PM -0500, Hai Yi wrote:
> > I have installed ubuntu in a computer which had Windows XP installed. It
> > seems that I successfully have both OS co-existed, 'cause I see the menu
> > list when I restart the computer. But here is the problem, even though I
> > see both ubuntu and Windows on the menu, I couldn't use the arrow key to
> > move up or down, or any key, the keyboard just freezes.
>
> Is it a USB keyboard?  A quick Google search brought up this:

Sounds like a similar problem I encountered.  I built a box with a VIA mobo a
couple of years ago.  Installed Windows XP (my wife has a number of programs
that are windows only);  when the keyboard died, I replaced it with a(n) USB
keyboard and all was happy.  The box got compromised (the you have a greeting
card from problem),  so I backed up, to format and reinstall Windows.  No
joy!  No boot from CD, the initial screen came up but I could not get to the
BIOS to change the boot sequence.

A little research and a BIOS flash and the USB keyboard was recognized;  I had
to use a legacy keyboard to perform all actions before the BIOS flash.