Re: [vox-tech] installation broken packages

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 06:15:58PM -0800, Carl Boettiger wrote:
> doing dpkg --extract perl-base and copying all the files in its
> usr/share/perl/5.8 directory to my /usr/share/perl/5.8 directory fixed my
> install problems.  All the .pm files in that directory had become completely
> corrupted.
>
> Any idea how I could figure out what corrupted these files in the first
> place?

Like Jeff originally suggested, it sounds suspiciously like failing
hardware.  Did you look inside the Perl modules?  Were they completely
trashed?

I would A) make sure my backups are good and current and B) install
something like smartmontools to monitor the state of that device.

-troy