Re: [vox-tech] GPS logging and linux.

dylan wrote:
So is the thing configured through some sort of GUI ?
Yeah, the mtk sourceforge project that I sent a URL for has a GUI, personally
I prefer the command line.

Will that run on a linux system? Also -- can these settings be configured via USB (I do no have a blue tooth interface)?
Yes.

Thanks for the review- I know what I am getting for Christmas this year!
There's a similar unit with the same chipset, double the memory, but it was
a good bit more expensive ($90 vs $60).
Ok -- I was looking at another one which has a solar panel for recharging the battery. That would be a nice feature for longer hikes.
Sort of.

(http://www.semsons.com/i757prosobtd.html) .. i imagine that this would work with linux as well... but i will do some more detective work.
Yeah, should be the same, but they don't claim it actually keeps up while in use (so you can't ignore the battery state with solar). After considering I decided that the cost, increased size, and decreased physical robustness it didn't seem worth it. When riding or hiking I don't usually have the GPS actually exposed to the sun, under by hat, in a glove, in a small pocket, or in my armrest are the most common so far. Besides unless you are wearing a platform or something it doesn't seem like it's likely to get much sun during use. Sure if you take a 2 hour lunch leaving it in the sun might get you a few more hours of battery life.

Granted on a sailboat sunlight should be easy to find most days. Then again
do you often sail for more than 30 hours in a row?

It's a very common battery, I'd just bring a spare or two if you wanted to
record a week long hike or something.