Re: [vox-tech] GPS logging and linux.

On Saturday 01 December 2007 07:41:34 pm Bill Broadley wrote:
> Just wanted to mention to anyone interested.  The i-blue 747 works quite
> well with linux.  I avoided it in the past because the only driver I could
> find was windows.

Thanks for the post Bill. I have been thinking about getting something like
this for path logging, but wanted to make sure that it would work well with
linux. Currently I am using an old Garmin GPS 12, which can only record 1024
track points- usually enough for a single day's hike.

> Some 16KB of storage leaves it a fair bit of room for logging, and you can
> specify time rates, min distance, or min speed for storing results.  You
> can also control what is logged.

Nest.

> The unit gets substantially better reception than others I've tried, works
> in my living room (not near a window) and even inside various buildings
> like Sophia's.  The accuracy drops of course, but I've never seen the
> results get too far off.

Something the GPS 12 has problems with...

> I'm using (command line and perl):
> http://www.rigacci.org/wiki/doku.php/doc/appunti/hardware/gps_logger_i_blue
>_747
>
> But if java and ugly GUIs are your thing:
>       http://sourceforge.net/projects/bt747

Have you tried any of the other tools for working with GPS data out there:
gpsd
gpsbabel
gpstrans

 ?

> In any case if you wanted a GPS to record tracks but didn't want to carry a
> fragile pda with limited battery life (like say a nokia 770) on a mountain
> bike ride you could use this and record a track like:
> 	http://broadley.org/bill/yum-tahoe-epic.png
>
> It even has a button for recording POIs.

Thanks for the review- I know what I am getting for Christmas this year!

Dylan