January 6: Social gathering
2007 Nov 21 21:26

[vox-tech] Fixed point math library for C -- recommendations?

[vox-tech] Fixed point math library for C -- recommendations?

A number of areas in Tux Paint rely heavily on floating-point math.
This is great in terms of the quality of the effects, but makes parts of
Tux Paint nearly unusable on platforms that lack dedicated FPUs.
(The Sharp Zaurus PDA and Nokia N770 and 800 internet tablets, for example.)

Is there a library, or perhaps source-mangling tool, that can convert
floating math in C program to fixed point?  I'd like to keep the float stuff
in the main codebase, if at all possible...  both to keep the code
human-readable, and to continue to take advantage of the real floating point
math on systems with FPUs.  (Arguably, most systems running Tux Paint, since
most users are on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, systems, respectively[*].)

I'd obviously prefer something common (e.g., in Ubuntu and Debian), so that
other developers can continue working on Tux Paint with the least fuss... :)

Thanks!

[*] From what I can tell from downloads.

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/