2007 Nov 15 13:03

[vox-tech] Printer installation

I have a Brother MFC-8860DN printer/fax/scanner network printer connected to my 100-TX ethernet network. Right now everything is setup for DHCP, hosted by a Netgear FR114P router with firewall and works fine w/PCs running Windows XP.

I've been using Ubuntu 7.10 since the last installfest, but I still need to get this printer working with it. I tried setting up the printer with the driver that Ubuntu automatically recommended, but it doesn't work. (More details available, but hopefully not needed if the stuff below works out.)

Brother recently began supporting Linux at http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html
and came out with drivers including several for my printer. Great! But now my Linux novice's ignorance is a problem and the choices begin:

* Which package should I try first, the one for Debian (.deb) or for Red Hat / Mandriva (Mandrake) / SuSE (.rpm)?

* Brother's CUPS installation instructions at http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_wrapper_install5.html don't use ubuntu's package manager. How do I install this through the Synaptic Package Manager? I looked at adding a repository, but I have no idea what apt line to enter. And should I point it to the files I downloaded or to the URL where I got them? And how would this correlate to the installation instructions from Brother, which don't seem to go through any such package manager.

* Brother has both CUPS and LPR drivers. It seems like CUPS does more and I should try to install it, but their instructions seem to first require LPR driver installation anyway. Plus, having a network printer requires LPR as well. Am I understanding this correctly?

* LPR driver configuration instructions are at http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/printsetlpr.html. Note that my printer is included in the list inside the note box near the top on using the file name "brprintconflsr2".

This looks more complicated than it probably is. Does anyone have any good advice for me? Or should I just bring all this stuff to the next installfest?

Thanks,
Steve