2007 Oct 01 21:11

Re: [vox-tech] home network - how to make a UNIX known to theother PC (Windows)

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 02:54:13PM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 07:48:43PM -0700, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> > >
> > Yes, that would work well. The Windows XP hosts file is
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
> > You can also use nmbd in samba to advertise your Ubuntu computer using
> > the Windows SMB protocol.
>
> Not necessary. Netbios already broadcasts the name.

Isn't that what nmbd does? Personally, I prefer not to run nmbd because
I'd rather save the memory. My router (openwrt) already runs dnsmasq
that, as somebody else mentioned, has dynamic dns updates from dhcp.
There have been other situations where I have used the hosts file in
windows, like if the router cannot run dnsmasq and I don't want to setup
another machine for it.