2007 Sep 30 22:36

[vox-tech] Strange DNS lookup failures (Ubuntu Fiesty)

[vox-tech] Strange DNS lookup failures (Ubuntu Fiesty)

I've been having network trouble on my desktop.  My open connections
(IRC, SSH) seem to be unaffected, but as I make NEW connections, I'm often
getting DNS lookups (after long, annoying timeouts).

I ran a 'ping sonic.net' (Sonic is our DSL provider), and noticed this:

64 bytes from www.sonic.net (209.204.190.64): icmp_seq=298 ttl=250 time=18.7 ms
64 bytes from www.sonic.net (209.204.190.64): icmp_seq=299 ttl=250 time=19.0 ms
64 bytes from 209.204.190.64: icmp_seq=300 ttl=250 time=17.1 ms
64 bytes from 209.204.190.64: icmp_seq=301 ttl=250 time=17.4 ms
64 bytes from www.sonic.net (209.204.190.64): icmp_seq=302 ttl=250 time=18.4 ms
64 bytes from www.sonic.net (209.204.190.64): icmp_seq=303 ttl=250 time=17.2 ms

See how it suddenly went to 100% IP addr, no domain name, then came back?

My major annoying symptom is:

  * Go to a website
  * Click a link within the website
  * Get an error that the domain name does not exist
  * Hit Reload a few times
  * Eventually land on the page I was trying to get to

I'm running 2.6.20-16-386 on one of those Fry's "GQ" brand desktop PCs
(the under-$200 ones they sold with Linspire a while back).
It apparently has a SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC.

Google came up empty, so far (when I could connect to it :^) ).
I think I'm going to power cycle the DSL modem, new wireless router,
and switch under my desk.

If it still keeps happening, I'll try swapping the DNS IPs I have in my
/etc/resolv.conf to see if one fares better than the other.

  nameserver 208.201.224.11
  nameserver 208.2.224.33

In the meantime, has anyone out here noticed similar probs. under Ubuntu
lately?

Thanks,

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/