2007 Sep 27 13:51

Re: [vox-tech] Preserving carriage returns in OpenOffice.ort Calccells when referring to them

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 06:32:04PM -0700, Henry House wrote:

> AFAIK the standard model of spreadsheets does not allow linebreaks
> within cells, so undefined and inconsistent behavior such as you are
> encountering is to be expected.

Tell that to MS Excel and OOo Calc. Both allow entry of linebreaks. OOo even
has a help page explaining how to do multiline text.

> What is the underlying motivation here?

Storing text in a resource file w/in a mobile app JAR file.
Our build system uses CSV files to determine which assets to use depending
on the attributes of the tsarget handset (feature capabilities, screen size,
language, etc.)

> Perhaps there is a better solution that gets around the limitations of
> spreadsheets.

Too late for that. :^/

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/