2007 Sep 27 10:13

Re: [vox-tech] home network - how to make a UNIX known to the otherPC (Windows)

Re: [vox-tech] home network - how to make a UNIX known to the otherPC (Windows)

Hai Yi wrote:
This might be a very simple question, so forgive me if it is.

I have two PCs at home. One is Ubuntu the other is Windows XP.

Ubuntu machine has a name "zodiac", how can it makes it known to the
Window XP machine? I want to install a tightvnc server on Ubuntu and a
client on Windows so it can visit the Ubuntu.

I  guess I need to modify the hosts and network files on Win XP to
include the IP and name of the Ubuntu machine?

Thanks for your help!

Hai
Basically the problem is that you have no DNS server on your local network, so the boxes don't know each others names.

So you can choose either a) the hard-coded solution (i.e., modify the hosts files) or b) the dynamic solution (i.e., run a dns server on your network).

I do the latter. But FYI - there's no need to run a full-fledged (and complex) BIND server. There's a small DNS server that's perfect for small home LAN's, called dnsmasq. It's a combination DNS and DHCP server. So I've configured the linux server on my LAN to run dnsmasq (and thus serve as the DHCP server dishing out IP addresses) and to tell each box to use dnsmasq as its DNS server. And voila - all the boxes can now access each other by name.

So if you feel like working a bit more for the "right" solution, try giving dnsmasq a shot.

DR