January 6: Social gathering
2007 Sep 26 17:37

Re: [vox-tech] Intel graphics on Ubuntu

Just figured I'd mention a few related graphics updates.

Nvidia's new driver fixes many things, included the dreaded compiz/beryl
issues when you run out of texture memory.  Includes support for lower
power modes, tweaks for older kernels, newest kernels, and the newest
x.org.

ATI/AMD developments have been very interesting as well:
* 900 pages of docs without NDA
* new opensource driver from ATI (still minimal, but getting better)
* new closed source drivers for the current cards (the 2400, 2600, and 2900)

Looks like intels good and getting better for the low end, and ATI
is making great strides.  Nvidia pretty good but entirely closed source
(so far).

Here's hoping ati and intel convince them otherwise.