January 6: Social gathering
2007 Sep 17 18:12

Re: [vox-tech] How safe is this upgrade?

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 03:44:00PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> An associate of mine has this Debian server in a hosting facility
> that's been running for about two years, and would like to do a
> dist-upgrade.  Does anyone see any reason that this might screw things
> up?  I'm a bit concerned about the large number of changes that will
> be applied.
>
> Below are some things that I see when preparing to upgrade.  TIA for
> any comments.

I would change the sources.list to point to 'sarge' or 'oldstable' instead
of stable.  Then do an update, then put the sources back to stable or etch
and /then/ dist-upgrade.

Dist-upgrading from an install that is not fully updated is risking serious
trouble.

-t