2007 Sep 17 18:11

Re: [vox-tech] How safe is this upgrade?

On Monday 17 September 2007 16:43, Gandalf Parker wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Rod Roark wrote:
> > An associate of mine has this Debian server in a hosting facility
> > that's been running for about two years, and would like to do a
> > dist-upgrade.  Does anyone see any reason that this might screw things
> > up?  I'm a bit concerned about the large number of changes that will
> > be applied.
>
> What is he using for email? Ive made it thru 2 complete dist upgrades on
> my Debian server and the thing that bugged me the most was the shift thru
> sendmail, then exim, now postfix.

Exim, but it's only used for whatever the system needs internally.

> The "ps ax" of the system is very confusing but things pretty much works.
>
> Also how does he have his domains setup? In a single large httpd.conf
> file? That CAN work under the new setup but it doesnt like it.

Yeah, one big apache.conf.  But what I really don't like is the
upgrade to MySQL 5... don't want to have to deal with that.

I think what we'll do is stick with Sarge, i.e. change the "stable"
references in sources.list to "sarge".  That will at least get us the
security updates without turning the world upside down.

Thanks.

Rod